General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Can rear window relays "short out"...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 11:37 PM
Default Can rear window relays "short out"...

Alright so I took everyone's advise regarding my rear window not working, and purchased 4 relays from Mouser Electronics and installed them. It spontaneously worked like new! I then thought I would try jumpering the rear key switch to the front dash switch so that I didn't have to start the car to work the dash switch for the rear window. I used the schematics from this site http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...ow.shtml#Relay based on a second generation module (I have a 1990). I jumpered pins 7&9 (ups) and 6&17 (downs), and then replaced the module back into the rig. When I put the key into the ignition, the rear window started to automatically go up without me pushing anything! Not good... I plucked off the jumper wires that I soldered and the window worked fine, once again. I wasn't worried about that failed attempt to jumper it because at least the window was working from the front. Lastly I thought I would try to fix my non-functional rear-key switch that is supposed to work the window (and hasn't for years). With the newly wired module installed I put the gate down, removed the panel and metal plate to open up the innards of the rear window. I thought I would look at the actual key switch first to see if everything was hooked up. To access it, the window needs to be up (while the tailgate is down). I tried to bypass any safety features by: locking the tailgate, and then using a screwdriver to manually push the door latches closed on each side to trick the car into thinking the tailgate was up and closed. Then, went up to the front switch, started the car, and pressed the button to roll up the window. I heard a lot of beeping from the back, I think informing me that I didn't trick it enough. I press the button two more times, and then the beeping stopped. uh oh. I put the covers back onto the tailgate, closed it, and tried to roll it up. It didn't work now!! While this was all going on, I realized that with the module out in the open, it was resting on a few screwdrivers and metal objects. Could the board have been shorted somehow and now doesn't work? In the midst of my frustration, and the window was stuck down, I remembered that when I unsuccessfully jumpered the
pins together it rolled up without me doing anything, so... I got a piece of wire and touched the two up pins together simply to get my damn window closed (it's pouring outside). So----could the board have been shorted out with the metal underneath it...could my attempt to bypass the safety features with the rear tailgate have screwed up the front switch. What the hell do I do now? Buy more relays...? Sorry for the short novel, and thanks for any insight ~ pete

Old 10-26-2006, 12:47 AM
Default RE: Can rear window relays "short out"...

After thinking about it, I don't think it could be the relays (again) seeing how I was able to jumper the up pins and have the window work just fine. I think I'll pull out the front switch and make sure it's working. Then, maybe look at the module that I replaced the relays on and see if there might be something wierd going on there, like a diode burned out. I also had checked the fuse box next to the clutch pedal and saw no blown fuses. Last resort is replacing the relays, again. Any other thoughts about why it stopped working?